Skillet Apple Crisp September 24 2014
After much anticipation, fall in DC has finally arrived and already we're greeted with overcast skies, cool breezes and the first few falling leaves. I couldn't wait to cozy up with this quick, spiced apple crisp to shake off the chill and welcome autumn!
Skillet Apple Crisp
Makes one 10" crisp
2 1/2 lbs apples (about 3-4 large)
2 Tbs coconut oil or butter
3 Tbs coconut sugar or brown sugar
2 tsp tapioca starch or cornstarch
2 Tbs molasses
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1/3 cup coconut milk or cream
1 tsp apple pie spice or your own blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
1/2 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
4 Tbs coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cast iron or oven-safe skillet over med-high heat and melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter. Core and slice apples (peel or don't, it's up to you) and add to the skillet. Cook until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together coconut sugar, tapioca starch, molasses, vinegar, pie spice, and milk. Pour over softened apples and stir until combined.
3. For topping, mix together oats, oat flour, coconut sugar, walnuts, salt and melted coconut oil or butter. Stir together until combined and sprinkle over apple mixture in skillet.
4. Place in oven and cook for approximately 25 minutes.
Rainy Summer Day Zucchini Bread June 22 2014
You know summer is here when the zucchini starts rolling in. Bags of it getting passed around the office, desperate messages from friends asking if they can send a few zukes your way. Our household isn't big on squash, but when my husband said he'd never had zucchini bread, I knew just how to pass the time on this rainy summer day.
Feel free to substitute 1/4 cup of all-purpose gluten free flour for the almond flour if you avoid nuts, as well as substituting your favorite dairy free milk for the almond milk.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Zucchini Bread
makes 1 8x4" loaf
1 cup grated zucchini
1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
1/4 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup almond milk (or your favorite full-fat non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup shopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray one 8x4" loaf pan and set aside.
- Press shredded zucchini lightly with some paper towels to absorb extra moisture and set aside.
- Whisk the all-purpose gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum (if using), salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. In a larger bowl add the brown sugar, canola oil, eggs, almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla. Whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until moistened and combined. Fold in the grated zucchini and walnuts (if using).
- Pour into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then carefully turn out to cool completely on a rack.